[gst-devel] Re: a new direction for oms

Erik Walthinsen omega at temple-baptist.com
Tue May 15 22:50:29 CEST 2001

On 15 May 2001, Yoann Vandoorselaere wrote:

> > I think you misunderstood David. I got the impression that David
> > suggests using gstreamer for the backend of OMS not by stealing or
> > forking, but through adoption and contribution. With that approach, some
> > OMS developers will work on gstreamer itself, while others will work on
> > porting OMS to be a gstreamer app for DVD playback.
>
> ok, so that could be a good choise... Dent ?
> Also, don't you have your own UI ?

We have some GUI components, but they're for development only.  The key
with GStreamer is that elements have a very tightly defined scope.  They
take data in, do something, and spit data out.  The GStreamer core is then
responsible for doing something useful when the application plugs them
together in some structure.

By using the G[tk]Object model, we gain an API that allows full
introspection.  An application can ask a plugin what arguments it
supports, and get back quite a few details (and even more once we move to
GObject).  See http://gstreamer.net/lame-args.png for a shot of the editor
showing the arguments of the LAME mp3 encoder plugin.

There is a huge amount of information available on gstreamer.net.  Maybe
the best way to get familiar with the architecture is the sets of slides
on the documentation page.  The most recent set was presented at GUADEC,
the next most recent was the set I presented to RidgeRun at my interview.

If you have any questions about GStreamer, feel free to either email the
list at gstreamer-devel at lists.sourceforge.net, or drop into
irc.openprojects.net, #gstreamer.

      Erik Walthinsen <omega at temple-baptist.com> - System Administrator
        __