[livid-dev] Re: [gst-devel] Re: [livid-dev] a new direction for oms

Dan George dgeorge at ridgerun.com
Fri May 18 17:07:34 CEST 2001

Hi,
I'm Dan George from RidgeRun, the guy who keeps omega gainfully employed
while he leads the GStreamer project. As a corporate sponsor of GStreamer I
have a goal of making it very high quality and full featured. Unfortunately,
these two goals conflict because adding features always makes high quality
harder to achieve. Pushing on quality also dampens innovation because
innovative ideas are almost always risky.

I liked what dent said about oms being a learning project. The oms community
could pursue new ideas and features with reckless abandon while the
GStreamer community can pull in the successful ideas as they mature and show
their value. This is not to say the GStreamer folks won't be innovative, I'm
just saying it is healthy to have a project that prioritizes innovation over
quality. From what dent said I gather that oms is that type of project.

If the two project teams were to work together in such a relationship what
would change? How can oms and GStreamer efforts combine to accelerate
multi-media superiority on Linux? That seems to be a common goal between the
two groups.

Thanks for taking the time to read the comments of a "pointy-haired-boss."
<g>

Dan