[gst-devel] code review & commiting

Wim Taymans wim.taymans at chello.be
Thu Oct 11 11:16:06 CEST 2001

On Wed, 2001-10-10 at 21:14, David I. Lehn wrote:
> This thing with vishnu losing cvs access kind of sucks.  Is someone
> planning on commiting his patches?  There were a number posted that got
> no comments.  Stuff like sending debug stuff to stderr should probably
> be commited.  Who's going to do it?  Omega?

I will, when I get off my lazy butt..

> The bytestream stuff probably needs a closer look.  Sort of thing we
> really need a test suite to stress test any changes to it.  Who should
> review and comment on or commit it?  Apparently no one else cares to
> deal with the code but when someone does it would be nice to get any
> beneficial changes into cvs in a timely manner.

As said before, make us understand how things work and in what way they
are beneficial. The usual way to do this is by explaining things on IRC
or by sending out e-mails on -devel.

There is also the concept of ownership. He who first commits a
particular piece of code is by definition the owner, all patches to that
code should be discussed with the original author. The reason for this
is that things will go out of hand when nobody really understands what
happens anymore after the Nth patch has been applied to the code.

> I hate to nag about things but now I feel I'm in the same situation as
> vishnu.  I posted some dvd reorg ideas and even a patch and i get no
> comments.  Feeling I got in the past in IRC discussion is my patch is
> not what should be in cvs. Personally I think what is in cvs now is
> useless.  Do I lose cvs access if I commit my code?  Does anyone but me
> care how the dvd code works?

David, when nobody seems to care (not even the original author) you can
take ownership of the DVD code. As we discussed in IRC, your code is
definatly better than what there is now. We did not seem to agree with
the all-in-one dvdsrc concept but we agreed that we don't have a better
implementable solution right now. I'll look at it tonight and get you
some feedback.

Wim