[gst-devel] Docs/RFC: GstData

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Tue Apr 16 17:06:09 CEST 2002

This is the first doc about events and everything that needs to be known
about them.
While writing this doc I realised that everything described in it could be
implemented in the core without trouble right now. People could then start
implementing instream events.
I'll commit this to docs/random/company.

Benjamin

=== start doc here ===

NB: This document does not represent the current state of CVS events
branch but my current plans on how to implement this.

Basics
======

Hierarchy
---------
GstData
  GstInstream
    GstBuffer
    GstEventNewMedia
    GstEventDiscontinuous
    GstEventEOS
    GstEventLength
  GstOutOfStream
    GstEventLock
    GstEventUnLock
    GstEventSeek
    GstEventFlush
    GstEventEmpty

GstData
=======

typedef GstData * (*GstDataCopyFunction) (GstData *data);
typedef void (*GstDataFreeFunction) (GstData *data);

struct _GstData
{
  /* inheritance */
  GstDataClass *	klass;

  /* refcounting */
#ifdef HAVE_ATOMIC_H
  atomic_t 		refcount;
#else
  gint 			refcount;
  GMutex *		reflock;
#endif

  /* flags */
  guint			flags;
};

struct _GstDataClass
{
  GstDataType		type;

  GstDataCopyFunction	copy;
  GstDataFreeFunction	free;
};

Inheritance
-----------
A GstData descandant GstMyData, would look like this:
struct _GstMyData {
  GstData parent;
  /* more stuff specific to GstMyData */
}

You can even enhance the class struct, if you want to. This works just
like inheritance in GLib.

If it can be a parent class, it should implement these three functions
publically:
void gst_my_data_init (GstData *data) {
  /* call the parent's init function, eg: */
  gst_data_init (data);
  /* initialize your data now */
}
void gst_my_data_dispose (GstData *data) {
  /* free every data, that needs to be freed */
  /* call the parent's dispose function, eg: */
  gst_data_dispose (data);
  /* do NOT free the data */
}
GstData *gst_my_data_do_copy (GstData *to, GstData *from) {
  /* call the parent's copy function, eg: */
  gst_data_do_copy (to, from);
  /* copy relevant stuff from your struct now */
  /* note: the copy function must return a writable object, you may not
set GST_DATA_READONLY here */
}

If GstMyData should be instantiable, you should do this:
Get a class struct, something like this:
static GstDataClass my_data_class = { GST_TYPE_MY_DATA,
      gst_my_data_copy_func,
      gst_my_data_free_func };
FIXME: At the moment all types need to be specified in a big enum in
gstdata.h.
       We might want to change that when we support event plugins.
The two functions above should look something like this:
GstData *gst_my_data_copy_func (GstData *from) {
  /* allocate memory */
  GstMyData *copy = g_new (GstData, 1);
  /* copy relevant variables or initialize them */
  gst_my_data_copy (copy, from);

  return copy;
}
void gst_my_data_free_func (GstData *data) {
  /* first dispose all data */
  gst_my_data_dispose (data);
  /* now free the struct */
  g_free (data);
}

Now you just need a function that can be called from the real world:
GstMyData *gst_my_data_new (void) {
  /* allocate memory */
  GstMyData *my_data = g_new (GstData, 1);
  /* initialize the variables */
  gst_my_data_init (GST_DATA (my_data));
  /* set the right type */
  GST_DATA (my_data)->type = &my_data_class;

  return my_data;
}

summary of inheritance:
- define structs like GObject inheritance
- inheritance works by calling the functions of the parent when
creating/copying/freeing an object
- type recognition is done by the type field in the class struct
- memory allocation is specific to the struct.

Refcounting
-----------
GstData provides threadsafe refcounting. If you create a new object -
either by copying or explicit creation -  the refcount is initialized to
1.
This reference is owned by the creator of the object.
If the reference count reaches 0, the object is freed. The free function
of the class is called for that purpose.
In accordance with GLib, that uses g_object_(un)ref for everything,
gst_data_(un)ref is used and no wrapper macros are created.

MT safety
---------
Manipulating data inside an object is not threadsafe unless otherwise
noted.
If an object has a reference count of 1 it is assumed that the reference
holder is the only user of that object and he may modify it the way he
likes.
If the reference count is greater than 1, the object may not be modified.
If you need to modify it, you have to copy the object and use that copy
instead.
NB: Object creation and refcounting are threadsafe - or must be
implemented that way.

Flags
-----
Flags work and can be used like the GstObject flags.
GstData defines only one flag: GST_DATA_READONLY. If this flag is set, you
are not allowed to modify the contents of a struct, even if the refcount
is 1.

GBoxed
------

GstInstream
===========

GstInstream is the base class for events and buffers that are passed
inside the stream.
It enhances the GstData struct by
guint64		offset[GST_OFFSET_TYPES];
This field describes the offset in the current stream in various different
ways:
GST_OFFSET_BYTES:  The number of bytes from the beginning of the stream.
GST_OFFSET_TIME:   The timestamp in microseconds. The beginning of the
stream equals timestamp 0. In buffers the timestamp should match the
beginning of the data.
GST_OFFSET_FRAMES: This type is specific to the stream and should be
defined there. (video will probably use it for frame numbers, audio to
count samples)
If an offset can't be specified, it is set to GST_OFFSET_INVALID, which
equals (guint64) -1. The byte offset always has to be specified. It is an
error if it is invalid.
A plugin playing data from an "infinite" source (eg a shoutcast stream
from the internet) it should start with byteoffset 0.

GstBuffer
=========

The buffer enhances the GstInstream struct by including a data and a size
field.

Memory allocation
-----------------
Memory is allocated via a special memchunk implementation, that is
threadsafe. The default implementation uses a mutex and GMemChunks.
FIXME: This is not true, we use g_malloc/g_free for now.

GstBufferClass
--------------
GstBufferClasses (note the plural) replace bufferpools. The default class
uses g_free/g_malloc for storing data. However, you are free to write your
own if
you need buffers that store data in another way.
Note however that the copy function needs to supply a writable copy of
your buffer.

Subbuffers
----------
Subbuffers have been replaced by a special kind of GstBufferClass.

Instream events
===============

GstEventNewMedia
----------------
Signals the start of a new stream. This must be send before any buffer of
a new stream can be send.
FIXME: The "must be send" can only be enforced if all elements are event
aware. And this is necessary if we don't want to get parts of stream 1
inside stream 2.

GstEventDiscontinuous
---------------------
This must be send between buffers, that don't have continuous data. This
is necessary for example after seeking or when data is dropped for speed.

GstEventEOS
-----------
Signals the end of a stream. Must be send after all data is finished. If
you want to start a new stream, don't send this event, send a
GstEventNewMedia instead.
After having processed this event, elements in the pipeline switch their
state to paused.

GstEventLength
Specifies the length of the stream.
FIXME: Write more, when sure how to do this.

Upstream events