[gst-devel] Docs/RFC: GstData

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Thu Apr 18 01:52:06 CEST 2002

On Thu, 2002-04-18 at 09:30, David I. Lehn wrote:
> * Ronald Bultje <rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net> [20020417 18:23]:
> > On Wed, 2002-04-17 at 02:05, Benjamin Otte wrote:
> > > Hierarchy
> > > ---------
> > > GstData
> > >   GstInstream
> > >     GstBuffer
> > >     GstEventNewMedia
> > * why is  GstBuffer a GstInstream thing? Wouldn't GstBuffer better be a
> > special type of GstData on its own? Buffers and events are very
> > different...
> >

> Different how?
>
> I did some thinking on this whole thing a long while ago and, based on
> the code at the time, thought it would be cool to make everything passed
> around an "event".  GstBuffers would just be a data event vs a control
> event like EOS. It was an attempt to merge all the data and event
> handling into one uniform system.

Isn't that exactly why they are all a GstData? For the sake of calling
them events, you could rename GstData to GstEvent or so. But now, we
have GstDate, every GstData is (assuming the division between in/out
event isn't needed) a GstEvent and every event/buffer is a GstEvent...
And every type of event has its own class... I'd rather see something
simple like:

GstData
  GstBuffer
  GstEvent

This seems to make life a lot easier... Just use something like GstProps
or so to make different kind of events, but making separate event
classes for each type of event seems rather awkward to me...

Ronald

--
-   .-.
-   /V\    | Ronald Bultje <rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net>