[gst-devel] Docs/RFC: GstData

David I. Lehn dlehn at vt.edu
Thu Apr 18 00:31:02 CEST 2002

* Ronald Bultje <rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net> [20020417 18:23]:
> On Wed, 2002-04-17 at 02:05, Benjamin Otte wrote:
> > Hierarchy
> > ---------
> > GstData
> >   GstInstream
> >     GstBuffer
> >     GstEventNewMedia
> * why is  GstBuffer a GstInstream thing? Wouldn't GstBuffer better be a
> special type of GstData on its own? Buffers and events are very
> different...

Different how?

I did some thinking on this whole thing a long while ago and, based on
the code at the time, thought it would be cool to make everything passed
around an "event".  GstBuffers would just be a data event vs a control
event like EOS.  It was an attempt to merge all the data and event
handling into one uniform system.  Elements would just pass around
GstEvent*s and switch on their type or something.  Bunch of ways to
refactor this into a nice OO framework.  I never got enough code written
to determine any performance numbers or if it's even a good idea.

-dave
--
David I. Lehn <dlehn at vt.edu>  | http://crib.lehn.org:8080/~dlehn/
Computer Engineering Graduate @ Virginia Tech in sunny Blacksburg, VA