[gst-devel] told you

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at urgent.rug.ac.be
Fri Apr 19 01:38:13 CEST 2002

Hi,

well I had just woken up and read your mail and started to write a really
pissy mail back but luckily I got interrupted.

So now that I'm at work I'll keep it simple ;)

> Heya,
>
> I told Thomas (how many times did I tell you, don't know, but a lot of
> times) to disable -Werror in the tarballs.

1) If you're not my father or my mother then don't patronise me.
2) If you're not my boss or alternatively paying me handsome amounts of
   cash then don't TELL me what to do.  You might always try asking
   however.

> It seems that the plugins for
> 0.3.4 were distributed with -Werror enabled by default.

3) I seem to remember that in the end the consensus was to use -Wall and
not -Werror for releases, while keeping both for cvs.  I might have, in
one of the tarballs, mixed up the two since in my subconsciousness it
still feels like "Wall" is more restrictive than "Werror", even though I
know I'm wrong.  In any case, you couldn't have asked much since the
Werror and Wall were only added by Company after the previous release.

HOWEVER, There were TWO prereleases allowing anyone to catch these kinds
of mistakes BEFORE the release, and maybe even help fix.

> cc1: warnings being treated as errors
> motion.c:87: warning: `dist1_MMX' declared `static' but never defined
> motion.c:98: warning: `dist1_SSE' declared `static' but never defined

These are relatively easy errors to fix and if you had been a good
developer and used regular cvs then these would have poked your eye out a
lot sooner.  I think it's up to each of the gstreamer developers to do the
right thing and fix warnings on their archs.

> I hope that it won't happen next time.

The best way to ensure that is to help out.  I had announced the fact that
we were doing a release a week beforehand, yet still people succeed in
showing up at the VERY LAST MINUTE complaining about stuff they could have
fixed themselves a week before.  To you it might not seem like that big of
a deal, but I end up spending big chunks of my week-end trying to make
sure we get a good release out and waiting for everyone to chip in their
two cents long after the due date.  Most of the time the end result is
worth it, but not when someone comes back round complaining about stuff he
told us to do and didn't get done.  That kinda takes the fun out of it.

The irony of it all is that I spent a whole week fixing up whatever I
could and motivating other people to help fix stuff in support of a decent
rhythmbox release to show other people the potential ;) And when I found a
few inconsistencies in the rhythmbox spec files, I didn't tell you to fix
them, I sent a patch.  I hope that kind of behaviour rubs off...

Oh, and sorry for the still relatively high piss factor of this mail.

Thomas

There has to be a change, I'm sure
Today was just one day fading into the other
and that can't be what life is for
<-*- thomas at apestaart.org -*->