[gst-devel] spider broken ?

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Sat Apr 20 05:48:02 CEST 2002

On 19 Apr 2002, Bastien Nocera wrote:

> Heya,
>
> It seems that spider doesn't work correctly on Liam's machine.
> gst-launch gnomevfssrc location=file:///home/whatever/file.mp3 ! mad !
> osssink works
> gst-launch gnomevfssrc location=file:///home/whatever/file.mp3 ! spider
> ! osssink doesn't
>
> the file used was
> http://openbsd.rug.ac.be/ftp/pub/OpenBSD/songs/song31.mp3
>
> Benjamin, any ideas on what's going wrong ?

The file works perfectly well on my machine when using the spider.
Actually I fixed a glib warning first, but that wasn't your problem.

The --gst-mask output indicates that it is a typefinding problem.
Whenever there is an eror in typefinding, the
spider tries the for the
whole song to find the right type. So the whole file is processed and
gst-launch exits cleanly but you get no output.

The things I could think of right now:
- mp3 typefinding for some reason isn't installed. Or it's installed in an
old version. (gst-inspect mp3types)
- It's a problem with big endian support in mp3 typefinding.
You - or someone else with endian knowledge - might
want to look at plugins/gst/mpegaudioparse/gstmp3types.c and look for
endian bugs there. Especially in the if clause with the id3 tag.

Benjamin