[gst-devel] Re: Multiple licenses and plugins

Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller Uraeus at linuxrising.org
Tue Aug 20 11:45:03 CEST 2002

On Tue, 2002-08-20 at 19:21, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     > How did you choose the LGPL for the base library?  In some cases
>     > that is the right decision, but many libraries would do better using
>     > the GPL.  What job does the library do?
>     It is the GStreamer multimedia framework. The reason we choose the LGPL was both
>     wanting a license that protected our work yet one that was open enough
>     to enable it to get us some convergence in the [GNU/]Linux multimedia
>     landscape.
>
> (Would you please call the system "GNU/Linux"?  Using the term "Linux"
> for more than the kernel makes it harder for the GNU Project to do its
> work.  See http://www.gnu.org/gnu/why-gnu-linux.html.)
I often do :)

> That kind of reason is a good reason in some cases.  Miguel and I
> decided together that certain basic GNOME libraries should be LGPL'd,
> this kind of reason.
>
> The question is, how much good does it really do in this instance?
> How does it particularly help the Free World, or the GNU Project, if
> non-free programs that run on GNU/Linux use GStreamer rather than
> something else?

> If it encourages developers to integrate these programs well with
> GNOME and the rest of GNU--rather than, say, KDE--that could make
> GNOME and GNU more successful.  Is that the result you are hoping for?
Well first of all since we are to be a GNOME system library we have to
be LGPL. There is a strict policy in GNOME that all libraries that are
to be officially considered part of the GNOME development platform
should be LGPL.

Also remember that it is not only non-free software that gets 'hit' by
GStreamer becoming GPL. Free software under non-GPL compatible licenses
will also be unable to access the functionality we provide. Which means
that applications already available out there under such licenses will
not be able to get ported to use GStreamer.

Also making a media framework is a very huge undertaking which requires
the effort developer with expert knowledge in one of the most
complicated fields in computing. We also feel that in order to being
able to attract enough developers we need to use a license that a large
as possible pool of developers feel acceptable. We feel that the LGPL is
a good compromise in that regard. A compromise that feels acceptable to
people on all sides of the scale ranging from people who personaly
prefer BSD style licenses and to people who wants to use more
restrictive licenses.

The choice of licensing is a controversial topic even among developers
of free and/or opensource software and we are trying the balance their
wishes at the best of our ability.

> Meanwhile, the fact that you plan to use GPL-covered plug-ins means
> that if some non-free app links with your library, it is very likely
> to be led into violating the GPL for plug-ins.  In effect, your
> library may be in effect designed to encourage GPL violations.  That
> is a serious problem.  If that is the real situation, it is a very
> strong argument for using the GPL for the library.  That way, the line
> will be clear, rather than vague.
Well the system is set up so that developers can code their application
to access only plugin X or Y. We also have as part of our documentation
a file that lists our plugins and the license of the library they are
calling. So anyone making a non-gpl compatible application have ample
opportunity to see and make sure that his or her application do not
access anything they shouldn't.

We have also been discussing implementing functions that will make it
even harder for a developer to use plugins illegally by mistake.

Yet, in the end we believe in the principle of personal responsibility
and think that if someone gets shot it is the shooter who is to blame
and not the gun. I would think that GNU shares this belief with us as it
is an organization focusing on the principle of freedom which can't
truly exist without concepts such as trust and morale.

>     > That is correct, in most cases.  If the plug-in is general purpose
>     > and not designed specifically for use with your library, they could
>     > make a valid argument that this is the equivalent of running a command
>     > from the hsell.
>     Yeah, that description would fit us well as all the plugins we made
>     ourselves from scratch are LGPL, so it is only plugins based on 3rd
>     party libraries that will be GPL (even if we license the 'plugin code'
>     itself as LGPL).
>
> We may be miscommunicating here.  Whether the plug-in is *based on*
> someone else's more general package is relevant for other purposes but
> it is not the issue I am raising here.
>
> The issue is whether the finished plug-in, ready to be loaded by your
> library, including whatever glue you added to some other general
> package, communicates in some specific special way with your library.
> Is the interface between plug-in and library as basic and minimal as
> fork-and-exec, or does it include other more specific kinds of
> communication?
Well upon closer consideration I am not sure if this is an issue, cause
if I understand you correctly these issues only arise if non-gpl
compatible software tries accessing the plugin code (which in turn is
linked to a library covered under the GPL). As long as only gpl covered
apps are meant to access the gpl plugins we are in the clear, correct?

>     > By the way, the GNU Project is looking to establish direct
>     > relationships with developers of parts with GNOME, for them to be
>     > directly GNU packages.  Are you interested in doing that?
>     Not really sure. For one thing we do not mind people using our library
>     for applications that is licensed under a non-free license or even a
>     non-opensource license.
>
> Whether to do that is an important issue, which we're discussing it
> now, but making GStreamer directly a GNU package is a different issue.

Well we have been discussing this some and we are not yet ready to make
any final decision (partly due to our lead maintainer being away on
vacation.)
One thing we do wonder about however is if being a GNU project would
give us free legal aid in case we get attacked by the record or movie
industry? (for using reverse engineered codecs, supporting playback
encrypted DVD's etc.)

Christian