[gst-devel] Size of the Core Library

Erik Walthinsen omega at temple-baptist.com
Wed Dec 11 01:38:03 CET 2002

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002, Dutta, Pronay wrote:

> According to the information on the Gstreamer website, the size of the core
> library is about 150KB.
That number is old, probably not quite accurate anymore.  It was arrived
at by selecting some key options for gcc, turning off all the debug, etc.
I suspect it's closer to 200-250KB these days.

> What are the libraries (minimum) I need to make the Gstreamer works?
Minimum dependencies are currently glib2, libxml2, and popt.  All but
glib2 could be removed in some cases, though all the mechanisms I put in
place to make libxml optional are qutie bitrotten.  Some work would be
required in order to make those compile options functional again, but
nothing too difficult.

I can do a survey of what needs to be done and write them up.  Most of
these issues should be dealt with anyway, as part of build cleanups in
preparation for the 'stable' 0.6.0 release.

> I really loved the way Gstreamer works. It makes things very easy for
> the application developer. But question is how can I use it when my
> device is small embedded device.
So is this a personal project, or Intel-related?  Also, I saw
'jf.intel.com' in the headers, does that mean you're at the Jones Farm
campus?  If so, shoot me your phone number and we can sync up, since I'm
in Portland.

I worked for RidgeRun, a Boise startup, for a year, working on exactly
these issues (targetting the TI OMAP [arm9 + dsp] chips), but they've been
toast for almost a year now ;-(

      Erik Walthinsen <omega at temple-baptist.com> - System Administrator
        __
      _\  /_