[gst-devel] Re: [gst-cvs] theuraeus www: www/docs/

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at urgent.rug.ac.be
Tue Dec 17 03:58:02 CET 2002

> No, you guys miss the issue.

No, I understand that issue ...

> The www module is the website and
> everything on the website should be in that module except application
> binaries.

Why are application binaries the exception ? I mean, I agree they should
not be in cvs, but why draw the line there ? Tarballs, for example, are
not in CVS either.

> If we deciding on random bits and pieces to not keep in CVS
> the whole 'website in cvs' concept will eventually become
> unmaintainable.

They're not random bits, they're the "docs".  They currently take up 12 MB
of the 36 MB, for no reason at all.  The docs are generated, so there's no
point in putting them in CVS.

CVS is used for maintaining "source", whatever they are source to.
Ie, we keep
- code bits
- build system files
- self-written parts of the website

We don't keep in CVS
- tarballs (because they're generated from source)
- built source files (because they're generated from source)
- binaries (...)
- docs (...)

and so on.  That is pretty much the basic rule for cvs.
So unless there is a good reason to keep the docs in CVS, I wouldn't keep
them. There's just no reason to do so.

Thomas