[gst-devel] gstplay / gstmediaplay / etc...

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Tue Feb 5 04:20:08 CET 2002

Hi Arik,

Nice to have you back.

In short, what happened to the media player:
Once upon a time, I decided GStreamer was something like the ultimate tool
for a media player and I said to myself "Hey this is Linux and everybody
says: Write it yourself". So I lurked a while and then appeared and
started to try to help with that thing.
I took a look at the media player and thought to myself: Hm, this s*beep*.
Why is this functionality in the media player and not in the core? Oh, and
why is that stuff done this way and not like that? And why is it not in
the core anyway?
So I started walking on the nerves of the core guys and started doing all
kinds of stuff in the core, that should in any distant future profit the
media player.
The media player was only used as a test bed from then on. And it
currently looks exactly like that.
Ok, what did I do up to now - I'll do it chronologically:
1) Since I'm a GNOME2 zealot, I tried to get the configure stuff working
in GNOME2.
2) Because autoplugging should be done by an element, not by an app (at
least that was my idea) I wrote the "spider" element, which now lives
happily in the core. It's still not working perfectly, but it's improving
:)
3) I rewrote gstplay.[ch] to use the spider and make use of glib2's
nice properties.
4) I hacked gstmediaplay.[ch] to wrap around that thing and look like a
media player.
5) Uraeus decided a media player is a cool thing and tried to release
0.3.2 with that thing. He somehow succeeded.
6) thomasvs got a little annoyed by the loads of unused and/or unneeded
and nonworking stuff and the bloated configure and with our approval
opened up the gst-player module. This is the same as
gstplay, except the
Makefile/configure stuff is clean and GNOME2 only and the unneeded parts
(mplib) are removed. Oh: and we all liked the gst-player name more than
gstplay.
7) I asked thomasvs to include i18n and l10n support in the gst-player
module so we have that from the beginning and don't need to add it later
on. I don't know if that's in yet, but I hope so.
8) On my harddisk is a patch lying around which will add the first
part of notifying capabilities to gstreamer, so the player can easily get
information about title/author/whatnot. I hope that I can add that today.

Ok, that's the history.
For the future, we should talk when we meet on IRC and have enough time to
talk things over, so we know in which direction we intend to go. I hope
anybody interested in hacking gstmediaplay will accidently be there, too
:)

Oh, and I'm not going to fork anything. I'm barely able to keep up on my
core stuff, let alone a full featured media player ;)

Cheers
Benjamin