[gst-devel] gstplay / gstmediaplay / etc...

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Tue Feb 5 06:03:08 CET 2002

On Tue, 2002-02-05 at 12:19, Benjamin Otte wrote:
> Hi Arik,
>
> Nice to have you back.
>
> In short, what happened to the media player:
> Once upon a time, I decided GStreamer was something like the ultimate tool
> for a media player and I said to myself "Hey this is Linux and everybody
> says: Write it yourself". So I lurked a while and then appeared and
> started to try to help with that thing.
> I took a look at the media player and thought to myself: Hm, this s*beep*.
> Why is this functionality in the media player and not in the core? Oh, and
> why is that stuff done this way and not like that? And why is it not in
> the core anyway?
> So I started walking on the nerves of the core guys and started doing all
> kinds of stuff in the core, that should in any distant future profit the
> media player.
> The media player was only used as a test bed from then on. And it
> currently looks exactly like that.
> Ok, what did I do up to now - I'll do it chronologically:
> 1) Since I'm a GNOME2 zealot, I tried to get the configure stuff working
> in GNOME2.
> 2) Because autoplugging should be done by an element, not by an app (at
> least that was my idea) I wrote the "spider" element, which now lives
> happily in the core. It's still not working perfectly, but it's improving
> :)
> 3) I rewrote gstplay.[ch] to use the spider and make use of glib2's
> nice properties.
> 4) I hacked gstmediaplay.[ch] to wrap around that thing and look like a
> media player.
> 5) Uraeus decided a media player is a cool thing and tried to release
> 0.3.2 with that thing. He somehow succeeded.
> 6) thomasvs got a little annoyed by the loads of unused and/or unneeded
> and nonworking stuff and the bloated configure and with our approval
> opened up the gst-player module. This is the same as
> gstplay, except the
> Makefile/configure stuff is clean and GNOME2 only and the unneeded parts
> (mplib) are removed. Oh: and we all liked the gst-player name more than
> gstplay.
> 7) I asked thomasvs to include i18n and l10n support in the gst-player
> module so we have that from the beginning and don't need to add it later
> on. I don't know if that's in yet, but I hope so.
> 8) On my harddisk is a patch lying around which will add the first
> part of notifying capabilities to gstreamer, so the player can easily get
> information about title/author/whatnot. I hope that I can add that today.

We talked about having this in a different library, or at least
something that doesn't require to have a pipeline. In Rhythmbox we want
to get the metadata of the files without playing them.

Incidentally the playlist in RB is a library, and we plan to add videos
support to it, so we can use it the media player... And Jorn and Marco
from Galeon joined the RB project :)

> Ok, that's the history.
> For the future, we should talk when we meet on IRC and have enough time to
> talk things over, so we know in which direction we intend to go. I hope
> anybody interested in hacking gstmediaplay will accidently be there, too
> :)
>
> Oh, and I'm not going to fork anything. I'm barely able to keep up on my
> core stuff, let alone a full featured media player ;)

<snip>

Cheers

--
/Bastien Nocera