[gst-devel] gst_element_info

Andy Wingo wingo at pobox.com
Tue Feb 12 08:44:07 CET 2002

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:

> Using tee in programs I get this :
>
> GStreamer-WARNING **: The function gst_element_info is gone. Use
> g_object_notify instead.
>
> So I wanted to convert gst_element_info.  Problem is, gst_element_info
> allowed you to do things like "new pad %s", name.
>
> How do you do that with g_object_notify ? Is that at all possible ?

This is an interesting issue. I used to argue that GstObject needed a
general status property for this sort of messag, but I think I was wrong
on that. Basically, it goes like this:

1) if your information is structured and can be useful to the app, make
it a special property and use g_object_notify

2) if it's just useful to the end-user, or maybe just to the debugger,
use g_message or even g_print. we should look into glib2's new log
handling though...

regards,

wingo.