[gst-devel] xvideosink rewrite

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Mon Feb 18 15:34:02 CET 2002

Hi,

On Tue, 2002-02-19 at 00:01, Benjamin Otte wrote:
> - A GstVideoWidget could never be a GstElement too, because GObject
> doesn't allow multiple inheritance and it descends from GtkWidget
> already.
>
> There is a question about this though:
> - How do I install / link to this element and the video output stuff?
> There are no header files installed (this is gst-plugins) nor can I link
> to a lib. I could (and would like if we did) write the GstVideoWidget in
> Gst-Plugins but we would need to install a header file, a lib to link
> against and an entry for pkgconfig for people that want to use the
> widget.

You don't.

Basically, just make it a gtkwidget that sets some properties
(g_object_set_property()) on the gstelement and thereby makes it ready
to show video embedded in the gtkwidget of which the gstvideowindow
descends. Think of it like how Xv works with a gtkwidget in some TV apps
- you just have a gtkwidget where the internal paint function (expose)
calls the Xv paint function and where the Xv object is nothing more than
one of the elements in the gtkwidget struct. You don't need direct
access to the element for that, just being able to set properties (like
width, height, x, y, xwindowID to embed in) should be enough, like the
old xvideosink and all other elements do this.

Ronald

--
-   .-.
-   /V\    | Ronald Bultje <rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net>