[gst-devel] xvideosink rewrite

Andy Wingo wingo at pobox.com
Mon Feb 18 15:59:04 CET 2002

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Benjamin Otte wrote:

> There is a question about this though:
> - How do I install / link to this element and the video output stuff?
> There are no header files installed (this is gst-plugins) nor can I link
> to a lib. I could (and would like if we did) write the GstVideoWidget in
> Gst-Plugins but we would need to install a header file, a lib to link
> against and an entry for pkgconfig for people that want to use the
> widget.
> The other possibility would be to include this widget/element combo in
> gst-player, but IMO it doesn't belong there.
>
> Thoughts?

you can make it a gst lib. see gst_library_load in, say, the adder's
plugin init, which loads up bytestream. so your lib could be like
bytestream. and it could then install header files under gst/<libname>
as bytestream does.

imo if it includes a widget, it probably belongs in gst-player.

or, like BBB is saying, you can make it a plugin, complete with a
plugin_load() function. that way it has no api and you have to use
properties. you can put a "widget" property on the gstelement to get the
video vidget, then you could do it all with gst_elementfactory_make()
and properties.

regards,

wingo.