[gst-devel] while memproffing a few pipelines ...

Andy Wingo wingo at pobox.com
Fri Feb 22 06:48:14 CET 2002

On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:

> 1) disksink, when queried for the filename through the properties, creates
> a duplicate of the filename.  Is this the right behaviour ?

yes. set_property always strdups what it receives, get_property always
returns a strdup'd copy of its buffer.

> because the
> resulting string is not freed when it's asked for by the element_save
> functions.

you mean the saveyourself things? it should be freed, that's a bug.
although all plugins might not adhere strictly to the whole
strdup/get-set behavior. this would certainly be a way to tell which
ones ;)

> 2) I have a pipeline, which, at a given time, I pause.  I remove an
> element from the bin using gst_bin_remove, then try to unref or destroy
> it.  This doesn't work as (shown by asserts) removing it from the bin
> removes the element's GST_OBJECT status.
> Is gst_bin_remove supposed to decrease the element's refcount ?

yes. if you want to keep it around, you have to ref the element before
you remove it form the bin.

> 3) Running
> memprof tools/gst-launch fakesrc num_buffers=1 ! fakesink
> indicates that (on my machine) about 5 MB is kept by the xml tree.  Should
> they be freed somewhere ?

hmm, that sucks. well yes, i guess so.

regards,

wingo.