[gst-devel] Re: [V4L] Personal Video Recorder?

Erik Walthinsen omega at temple-baptist.com
Thu Jan 17 12:57:06 CET 2002

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Jay Herrick wrote:

> Has anyone published a PVR HOW-TO?  Or at least some good guidelines
> to help someone get jump started with building a custom PVR?  I'd like
> to see some hardware recommendations, windowing suggestions, maybe even
> a whole open source framework.

As for a framework, I'll be using GStreamer (www.gstreamer.net) since
building a PVR is one of the many reasons I started that project...  As
soon as vektor (Billy Biggs) gets around to rewriting reetpvr as a set of
GStreamer elements, it'll be pretty straightforward, even possible in a
limited sense using the commandline launcher:

gst-launch v4lsrc channel=2 ! <vektor's encoder> ! filesink \
location=movie.<whatever>

gst-launch filesrc location=movie.<whatever> ! <vektor's decoder> ! \
xvideosink

(or use mpeg2enc/mpeg2dec instead of vektor's codec if you have the
cycles, or rtjpegenc/rtjpegdec, or any other video codec pair we already
have plugins for, even ffmpeg)

      Erik Walthinsen <omega at temple-baptist.com> - System Administrator
        __
      _\  /_