[gst-devel] media player issues

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Sat Jan 19 21:54:02 CET 2002

On Sat, 2002-01-19 at 04:21, Benjamin Otte wrote:

> > > and the syntax would be gst-launch urisrc location=foo://bar
> > >
> > > (ie, you'd have a 'urisrc' element)
> >
> > er... sorry. wasn't thinking. yes, gnomevfs should be used here, because
> > if you want "cdparanoia://" you already know what plugin you want
> > anyway. and we do have gnomevfssrc, and it works quite well. hey, with
> > that new patch, you might even be able to stream porn from newsgroups.
> > now that's extensible ;)
>
> I'm not quite sure if that would be the right way because
> - filesrc might be faster/better than gnomevfs (this might be the case for
> other plugins, too)

No, it's as fast because of mucho cut'n'paste code from filesrc to
gnomevfssrc. gnomevfssrc uses the mmap and other niceties like that when
dealing with local files.

> - cd access could work with other things than with cdparanoia

And you just said you would implement a cdda2wav src right now ? So nice
of you ;)

> - generally choice between different access methods is better. But that
> requires a configuration system...

Hmmm, actually not.

> Anyway, the fact that you would force yourself to use a file system
> provider when you really want a stream provider is not that appealing to
> me.
>
> But I'd support the use of gnomevfs syntax any day.

What we want is a GstElement that can contain another element like a
GstBin. It would then be possible to use that to wrap (or alias like Wim
said) elements with a common use to ease the application developers'
job. Then I could for example remove all the clutter cut'n'pasted code
from gnomevfssrc and directly use filesrc. Likewise for make an
audiosink object, a urisrc, a visualisationfilter, etc.

If that's already possible, please somebody show me how and I'll fix
gnomevfssrc straight away.

Cheers

--
/Bastien Nocera