[gst-devel] Compiling on FreeBSD

Mike Messmore mmessmor at memphis.edu
Sun Jul 7 21:41:02 CEST 2002

I'm interested in trying out GStreamer on FreeBSD for a little
project/idea I have but I'm running into problems.

First I had to upgrade automake and autoconf, but that was just a matter
of updating the ports.  Then FreeBSD hasn't upgraded libtool, so I had
to install that myself, no big deal.  But now I'm running into a problem
with popt.  I updated  popt to 1.5.1 (I think or I may have already had
it, but thats beside the point) via ports and ./configure complained:

<snip>
checking for poptStrippedArgv in -lpopt... no
configure: error: popt 1.5 or newer is required to build gstreamer. You
can
download the latest version from ftp://people.redhat.com/sopwith/popt/
</snip>

So I thought to myself, hmmm.  1.5.1 > 1.5.. well, chances are it has
something to do with popt and not gstreamer if I had to guess, so I'll
update to the latest release version of popt and hope that fixes it.  So
I installed popt 1.6.4, but I still get the same error.

So I figured I'd look/ask around and see if anybody has already overcome
this issue or knows that I'm doing something completely stupid.

Oh yeah, I'm using the code in sourceforge CVS as of about 10:00pm CDT
on FreeBSD 4.6-RELEASE.  If anyone could help me, that'd be great.

--Mike