[gst-devel] Compiling on FreeBSD

Andrew Turner zombie at i4free.co.nz
Sun Jul 7 21:56:05 CEST 2002

On 7 Jul 2002 at 23:38, Mike Messmore wrote:

> I'm interested in trying out GStreamer on FreeBSD for a little
> project/idea I have but I'm running into problems.
I have already started working on it.

> First I had to upgrade automake and autoconf, but that was just a matter
> of updating the ports.  Then FreeBSD hasn't upgraded libtool, so I had
> to install that myself, no big deal.  But now I'm running into a problem
> with popt.  I updated  popt to 1.5.1 (I think or I may have already had
> it, but thats beside the point) via ports and ./configure complained:
>
> <snip>
> checking for poptStrippedArgv in -lpopt... no
> configure: error: popt 1.5 or newer is required to build gstreamer. You
> can
> download the latest version from ftp://people.redhat.com/sopwith/popt/
> </snip>
>
> So I thought to myself, hmmm.  1.5.1 > 1.5.. well, chances are it has
> something to do with popt and not gstreamer if I had to guess, so I'll
> update to the latest release version of popt and hope that fixes it.  So
> I installed popt 1.6.4, but I still get the same error.
I used (all one line):
CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include" LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib"
./configure --prefix=/usr/testing

This will configure it with libs and includes from ports.
Also have a look at the bug reports I posted as building on FreeBSD
will bring errors.

> So I figured I'd look/ask around and see if anybody has already overcome
> this issue or knows that I'm doing something completely stupid.
>
> Oh yeah, I'm using the code in sourceforge CVS as of about 10:00pm CDT
> on FreeBSD 4.6-RELEASE.  If anyone could help me, that'd be great.
>
> --Mike

Andrew

A much wittier reply came to mind immediately
after I clicked the 'Send' button.