[gst-devel] DEBUG output

Erik Walthinsen omega at temple-baptist.com
Tue Jun 18 02:03:04 CEST 2002

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:

> * INFO and DEBUG might as well just be shortened to I and D
Agreed.

> * I think it'd be nice to have the actual message be indented further
>   as the function nesting goes deeper.
>   This might involve keeping track of each (co)thread's indentation level
>   and I'm not sure that can be easily done.
I think I have some code sitting around somewhere to do that.  I'll have
to see if I can find it.

> * I see that functions can have their own colour but I'm clueless as to
>   what the colours mean at this point.  Does anyone know ?
There was sortof a plan originally, but it needs to be retought.

> * IMO I'd rather have the whole bit listing INFO/DEBUG pid:cothread take a
>   different color based on the pid/cothread combo entirely.
Hmm, easy enough to try, but consider the case where the pid+cid value for
two cothreads in different threads hash to the same color, but their cid
is different.  You won't be able to easily tell that there's been a
switch, whereas the odds of that happening otherwise (cids would have to
hash the same, pids would have to hash the same, and pid and cid hashes
would have to be the same) is quite low.

> * There might be something wrong with the categories because we never seem
>   to use them at all.  Why don't we use them ? Maybe specifying a mask on
>   the cmdline is too hard and we maybe should find a way to make this
>   easier.
Yeah, the categories either need serious rethinking, or we need to come
up with an even better system.  I've had some thoughts in the past on that
front, I'd have to rethink them I think <g>

      Erik Walthinsen <omega at temple-baptist.com> - System Administrator
        __
      _\  /_