[Fwd: Re: [gst-devel] int2float and float2int]

Steve Baker steve at stevebaker.org
Thu Jun 20 08:00:20 CEST 2002

> In my opinion, afsink or afencode or whatever should have request pads
> on the sink side, and get multichannel encoding that way.

I should explain more, audiofile will optionally allow you to take any
file and output data as interleaved float. This will be handy for
integer formats that our plugins don't support (ie anything except 16
bit). So we can use 24 bit int audio files and not lose the extra
precision.

> BTW. Have you ever taken a look at libsndfile? That api makes *much*
> more sense to me, and does similar things to libaudiofile.

<rant mode="superior">
AFAICS libsndfile can only read from actual files, not data streams.
This isn't much use for gstreamer. CVS audiofile has a virtual file
layer so that anything can be the data source.
</rant>

cheers