[gst-devel] Re: [gst-cvs] thomasvs gstreamer: gstreamer/ gstreamer/docs/devhelp/ gstreamer/docs/gst/tmpl/

Richard Boulton richard at tartarus.org
Sun Mar 10 13:06:04 CET 2002

On Sun, 2002-03-10 at 20:29, Wim Taymans wrote:
> The boilerplate for the template is autogenerated. You are then supposed
> to add explanations for macros, enums and other stuff that cannot be
> added to the code with current gtk-doc. Also the module explanations are
> in those files. gtk-doc tries hard to keep the parts you edited and adds
> new sections where appropriate.
>
> Removing those files would basically mean that you only get the API docs
> added to the .c files (right before the method definitions) which is
> insufficient.
>
> So, don't remove those files, they contain valuable information.

The annoying part is that, if the files in cvs aren't up-to-date (ie,
the code API has changed, but newly updated files havn't been
committed), everyone ends up with modified files in CVS.  If, as is
common, someone then edits the files to update them, and commits the
modified versions, everyone else updates and gets a *conflict*.

I was wondering if CVS could be persuaded that these conflicts shouldn't
happen if the modifications were committed in two steps (first the
autoupdated files, which should be the same for everyone, and then the
modifications to the updated files).  Sadly, CVS isn't clever enough.

Perhaps we could change the build system so that the templates only get
updated if you build a special target: then only people about to update
them with user content would do so.

--
Richard