[gst-devel] Buffers.....dont have any.

Sojan James sojan at malkauns.nsc.com
Fri Mar 22 02:44:02 CET 2002

Hi All,
   The gstreamer architecture assumes that data buffers are passed on from
one element to the other by software. What if the job is done by the
hardware. Let me try to explain further....
The hardware I have has a digital video port (CCIR656). And the video
source can be digitised analog data through a decoder or decoded mpeg data
through a dedicated mpeg decoder chip. Consider the case of the mpeg
decoder. The only place where the application has control over the data is
when it reads the mpeg data from a file and pumps it into the mpeg
decoder. After this, the decoding and display is done entirely by the
hardware. Writing the plugin for this will be easy because all it has to
do is control the individual components in the path. I need to map the
individual components (decoder,mpeg-decoder, vip, etc) into plugins.
Has anyone written plugins for this type of a setup before? Is it
advisable to use a  different MIME type (instead of Video/Raw?), as this
internal path shouldn't be confused by an entirely software based path.

Basically, the gst-plugin will be a wrapper around the V4L2 driver that
already exists.

TIA
Sojan.