[gst-devel] patch gstelement.c?

Wim Taymans wim.taymans at chello.be
Sat Mar 23 05:40:02 CET 2002

On Sat, 2002-03-23 at 04:18, Jim Thornton wrote:
> Ok, this one is more of a question:
>
> If you do a gst_object_destroy of an object that is in a bin before you

The idea was not to unref/destroy objects you don't have a reference to.
> gst_object_destroy the bin, the parent pointer gets cleared (in
> gst_object_dispose) but the object (element) gets left in the bin children
> list causing havoc later when you try to gst_object_destroy the bin
> itself.  Ok, maybe you are only supposed to ever call gst_object_destroy
> on a top-level thing, or call gst_bin_remove manually, but this doesn't

You should call gst_bin_remove, yes (I think this is even so in Gtk+).

> seem right to me.  I tried adding the following to gst_element_dispose:
>
> 1495a1498,1501
> >   /* remove ourselves from containing bin */
> >   if (gst_element_get_parent(element)) {
> >     gst_bin_remove(GST_BIN_CAST(gst_element_get_parent(element)),
> element);
> >   }
>
> and that sure does the trick.  The problem is that now I'm getting
>
> (process:14959): GThread-ERROR **: file gthread-posix.c: line 226
> (g_cond_free_posix_impl): error 'Device or resource busy' during
> 'pthread_cond_destroy ((pthread_cond_t *) cond)'
> aborting...
> Abort
>
> out of the g_cond_free() (I believe) in the end of gst_element_dispose.

yes, this usually happens when you free a conditional or mutex that is
locked (not sure why it is locked though).

Wim

PS. nice patches, I'll try to apply them.