[gst-devel] volume plugin

Baker, Steve SBaker at CHELLO.com
Mon May 6 00:38:01 CEST 2002

I've just done a quick survey of media player volume slider behaviour and
here is the verdict:

Smooth volume changes:
-winamp
-real player
-windows media player

Jerky volume changes:
-Quicktime player for windows
-XMMS
-gst-player

By the sound of it I don't think the smooth players actually use a smoothing
algorithm, I think they just use small buffer sizes for the volume stage -
its hard to tell though.

The graphic EQ in winamp seems to use a huge buffer, but its sliders are
also very smooth.  When rhythmbox gets a graphic EQ it will probably need
smooth sliders because IIR filter coefficients could easily become unstable
if filter parameters change too quickly (presuming of course that an IIR
filter is used).

cheers