[gst-devel] 0.4.2 for apt-get?

J. Gardner Biggs gardnerbiggs at houston.rr.com
Sun Nov 3 16:08:06 CET 2002

On Sun, 2002-11-03 at 17:33, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-11-03 at 23:25, J. Gardner Biggs wrote:
> > On Sun, 2002-11-03 at 17:22, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> > > Ok,
> > >
> > > can you check why they're kept back ?
> > > Ie, try apt-get install gstreamer and see what that says.
> > > It should give you a clue as to what is the problem.  I suspect having
> > > rhythmbox or monkey-media installed.  You'll have to remove them.
> > >
> > > Thomas
> > >

> > I have both, rb and mm installed, why is that a problem?
>
> 1) You can't have gst 0.4.2 and 0.4.1 installed at the same time

I don't want 0.4.1 and 0.4.2 installed at the same time, that is why I
instructed apt-get to "upgrade."

> 2) RB and monkey-media depend on gst 0.4.1

If they depend on 0.4.1, why didn't I get a dependency error on
"upgrading?"

3) apt-get upgrade doesn't remove packages

So, if it doesn't remove packages, how do you "upgrade."  This makes
apt-get a install once and no more "upgrades."  Completely useless.

> Use "apt-get dist-upgrade", it will remove RB and monkey-media, and wait
> for newer versions of it to show up (or recompile the current ones
> against the new gst).
>
> ... Or just wait until there's a version of RB that works with gst 0.4.2
> in the repo.

rb and mm are not in the gstreamer apt-get repository.

--
J. Gardner Biggs <gardnerbiggs at houston.rr.com>