[gst-devel] Missing POPT_TABLEEND definition

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at urgent.rug.ac.be
Mon Sep 9 03:56:03 CEST 2002

Hi,

> Hello,
>
> I tried to install and compile "gstreamer-0.4.0" on SuSE Linux 8.0 with the
> following "uname -a" output:
> (Linux mcom-l-frodo 2.4.18-4GB #1 Wed Mar 27 13:57:05 UTC 2002 i686
> unknown).
>
> The first problem I encountered was that the compiler complained that the
> definition of POPT_TABLEEND is missing in the source files

If you're missing this, your popt is too old.  A better check is in
gstreamer CVS.  For 0.4.0, it doesn't catch it.  I personally use popt
1.6.4

> gst.c and gst-launch.c.
>
> Where should POPT_TABLEEND be defined and what is the correct value?
>

> If I add
> #define POPT_TABLEEND
> in gst.c and gst-launch.c, I can succesfully compile gstreamer.

Good try, but this sort of stuff doesn't work ;) If you don't fully
understand the code, then a random define is almost never going to help
you and cause all sorts of weird stuff to happen.

> But when
> executing the contained gstreamer examples always crash because the
> _default_name of the scheduler is NULL. I dont know if this 2nd problem is
> related to my work-around definition of POPT_TABLEEND or not.
> When I start "examples/helloworld/.libs/lt-helloworld xxxx.mp3", I get the
> following error message:
>
> "GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gstscheduler.c: line 743
> (gst_scheduler_factory_find): assertion 'name != NULL' failed"

No, this is unrelated.  You were supposed to run gst-register as root, and
since you didn't, it is not finding the standard scheduler.  Running
gst-register should fix this.

We changed some code in cvs to have this done automatically as a user, but
we need to check if this works well.

We'd appreciate it if you had the time to try out cvs on a clean system
and let us know if it actually does this for you ;)

Hope that helps,
Thomas

I have these hands teeming with love for you
But you're not here to touch
You said you'd wait but it's killing me
When I need something that much
<-*- thomas at apestaart.org -*->