[gst-devel] changes to adder

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at urgent.rug.ac.be
Mon Sep 9 11:56:03 CEST 2002

> > I think that adder should always send data, regardless of the fact if it
> > has any input to it.  If it doesn't, it should send out zeroes, of course.
> > In my head, gst-launch adder ! osssrc should work, useless though it is in
> > practical life.  Also, the same should work in gst-editor.
>
> I'm not sure what the point is of wasting CPU cycles on generating
> silence...

Ease of programming, sane default behaviour.

> > The reason I think this should work is that there are apps that will use
> > adder, and connect and disconnect inputs to it as necessary.  Adder
> > shouldn't stop working when all inputs are gone, and shouldn't wait to
> > start working when none of it's inputs are connected.
>
> Why don't you just PAUSE the pipeline when nothing is connected to adder
> and restart it when input is available? You'll have to PAUSE the
> pipeline anyway when you connect something to adder, I mean, it's not
> that you can forget about it altogether.

Because if stuff is connected after it, it wouldn't make sense.  If you
write a mixer that outputs to disk, sound card and streams to icecast at
the same time (which is what I'm doing right now) you don't want it to
pause, since it will break up the icecast connection and not record the
pause to disk.

In radio you want an actual stream and recording of what is being played,
even when nothing is played at all.

Thomas

god loves his children
yeah