[gst-devel] mixing "beeps" in with the main audio stream

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at urgent.rug.ac.be
Mon Sep 9 13:01:05 CEST 2002

> I am trying to determine the best way to mix short "beep" type sounds
> with an ongoing stream. These beeps will be for notifications while an
> MP3, OGG, etc. track is playing. I'll be using gstreamer as the media
> framework for an appliance-type media player. For instance, click the
> "up" button on the control, hear a "bloop" noise. Think "TiVo."
>
> ShouldI make two piplelines, one for the beeps and one for the main
> audio stream, and then mix them together and send it to oss? One
> pipeline with several bins? Should these be separate threads? Would I
> need to modify the running pipeline to play the extra beep sound?

Hi,

you should just put an adder in your pipeline, right before osssink.
At the moment you want beeps, you pause the pipeline, request a new sink
pad from adder, and connect a partial pipeline to it that plays your
beeps.

Hope that helps,

Thomas

if you ever lay a finger on my left side
if you ever lay a finger on me I will open
<-*- thomas at apestaart.org -*->