[gst-devel] flac plugin and the new flac 1.0.4beta

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Wed Sep 11 12:53:03 CEST 2002

On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 01:56:26PM +0200, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> I've been thinking about the FLAC situation.
>
> They tend to do a lot of incompatible releases.  This is pretty annoying
> for both us and people trying to compile gstreamer with it.
>
> Here's my current stance on it :
>
> * FLAC released a 1.0, and my guess is a lot of people will stick with
> that for some time.  Our plug-in should be able to build cleanly against
> 1.0

1.0.what?  It doesn't compile with 1.0.2 anymore, which is what was
shipped with Debian/woody, and probably other distros.

> * FLAC also keeps releasing new versions.  Our plug-in should also be able
> to build cleanly against the latest *officially released* version.
> This, IMO, doesn't include beta's.
>
> Now, on how to do this - I think the code for the plug-in should be
> ifdef'd for htese two cases.  We had a version of the plug-in that worked
> with flac 1.0, so this should be easy to do.

They have a really strange concept of micro-revisions.  Someone
needs to swim upstream and bitch-slap these people into keeping
a stable API.  =)

http://flac.sourceforge.net/news.html#20020703

dave...