[gst-devel] versioning

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Fri Sep 20 10:13:06 CEST 2002

Hi Thomas,

On Fri, 2002-09-20 at 18:51, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> Why is it useless ? I mean, that's the point of doing lib versioning.

Because we'd need three or four updates per release, since we often
break ABI compatibility. Even for this release, I've broken ABI+API
myself once (gst_pad_try_set_caps()), and the others probably did that
too some times.

Libtool versioning only becomes useful when the old one isn't directly
going to change anyway...

> In the past people have argued they didn't want libtool version explosion.
> I agree with that, but given our current release frequency and the
> fact we haven't *changed* much to our ABI (we did *add* stuff), we'll
> hardly run into libtool version explosion any time soon.

I'd propose to wait until 0.5.0, just for the sake of being sure that we
won't do any harm...

But ohwell, if you really want to, go ahead. ;-).

Ronald