[gst-devel] versioning

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at urgent.rug.ac.be
Fri Sep 20 11:32:22 CEST 2002

> On Fri, 2002-09-20 at 18:51, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> > Why is it useless ? I mean, that's the point of doing lib versioning.
>
> Because we'd need three or four updates per release, since we often
> break ABI compatibility. Even for this release, I've broken ABI+API
> myself once (gst_pad_try_set_caps()), and the others probably did that
> too some times.

I'd only change the versioning when doing a release.  Why would one do
four updates to this inbetween releases ?

> Libtool versioning only becomes useful when the old one isn't directly
> going to change anyway...

It becomes useful when big chunks of your code are API-stable.  Which they
mostly are.

> > In the past people have argued they didn't want libtool version explosion.
> > I agree with that, but given our current release frequency and the
> > fact we haven't *changed* much to our ABI (we did *add* stuff), we'll
> > hardly run into libtool version explosion any time soon.
>
> I'd propose to wait until 0.5.0, just for the sake of being sure that we
> won't do any harm...
>
> But ohwell, if you really want to, go ahead. ;-).

Not my decision to make ;)

Thomas

I know someday you'll have a beautiful life
I know you'll be a star in someone else's sky
but why oh why oh why
why can't it be mine ?
<-*- thomas at apestaart.org -*->