[gst-devel] make clean didn't

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at urgent.rug.ac.be
Wed Sep 25 07:09:03 CEST 2002

> > And this would leave you with the right structure.
> >
> > So, I am against adding this rule, especially since the only thing it
> > solves is a special case for someone developing in cvs mode only, and not
> > generally useful.  In fact, it will probably cause problems anyway in
> > different auto* uses.
>
> I'm inclined to agree with Joshua, actually. Building from cvs is not
> all that uncommon, and it's really quite a simple addition.

The uncommon about it is in the reconfiguring with less plugins, and the
number of times that you actually need to do this.  If you reconfigure
your source tree five times a day, then yes, this could be useful.  But
how many people here developing for cvs reconfigure their cvs tree that
often with having less plug-ins as a goal ?
Since this is something that only happens once or twice (if not, then I'm
wondering what exactly you're doing) you're just as well off just
executing the command once.

> I cannot
> think of a situation in which 'rm -rf `find . -name .libs -print`' from
> a dir with a Makefile, following a make clean, would cause problems.

Me neither.  Then again, I couldn't think of situations were all of the
hacks we added to make this tree build before that one or to generate
those types of images from the given types of .figs would fail, until we
got a bug report telling us "non-srcdir builds are horked" and I spent
about two weeks trying to figure out, together with that guy's help, what
exactly was the goal and how this should be done properly.

That's why I'm all for letting the tools do their work as much as
possible, and avoid the hidden "cost" of adding hacks that might seem like
a good idea at first.

That doesn't mean it's my decision to add this or not though, just stating
my views on it.

Thomas

The blood before me makes me open up my heart again
And I feel it coming over like a storm again
<-*- thomas at apestaart.org -*->