[gst-devel] New pipeline parsing has landed.

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Thu Apr 10 13:48:17 CEST 2003

On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 12:47:26PM +0200, Benjamin Otte wrote:
> Most of the time plugins support properties to set the desired formats and
> don't support filter caps at all.
> Shouldn't we remove these properties and make the plugins use better
> linking? The only plugin that really does proper caps nego seems to be
> colorspace at the moment. All the other plugins just seem to set caps once
> and if that doesn'T work, they die.

I think a lot of people (including myself) don't have a clear
knowledge of how to do caps negotiation optimally.  It's pretty
clear how to make it work in simple cases, but there's no
policy or guideline for making sure all the corner cases are
handled gracefully.  This could be one of our problems with
getting autoplugging to work nicely.

I'm a big supporter of filtered linking, btw.

dave...