[gst-devel] Totem or no Totem was Re: GNOME Development Series Snapshot 2.3.0: "Mighty Atom"

Mikael Hallendal micke at codefactory.se
Sat Apr 12 06:46:02 CEST 2003

lör 2003-04-12 klockan 15.37 skrev J. Gardner Biggs:
> > What a great idea, let's have everyone on the list tell everyone which
> > apps that works for them? :)
> >
> > More seriously, lets keep this discussion on a higher level.
> >
> > Which toolkit are we buying into?
> >
> > Will that toolkit deliver what we need for GNOME 2.4?
> >
> > Is it OK to hold media player of for one release if it doesn't?
> >
> > Regards,
> >   Mikael Hallendal
>
> It is unfortunate that Gnome doesn't have a "workable" media player even
> at the 2.3 release point.

Well, Totem do work, only it uses the "wrong" backend. According to
Christian gst-player works too (in the upcoming 0.6.1 release), it just
missed the 2.3.0 release.

> It always seems that projects get started, and progess only long enough
> for them to be barley working (with lots of hacking to get them to
> install) and then fall by the wayside.  I think most of this software is
> written while the developers are in school and once they get out and
> start making a living, the projects die.

This is not really a GNOME problem but rather a problem with software
written on spare time for fun. It's only "fun" to a certain point and
then it gets somewhat boring when it comes to the finishing touches and
maintaining.

Regards,
  Mikael Hallendal

Mikael Hallendal                micke at codefactory.se