[gst-devel] help needed with video plugin

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Mon Apr 21 13:37:13 CEST 2003

On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 03:06:38PM +0100, Gustavo J A M Carneiro wrote:
> > Wouldn't a generic "compose" video plugin, which would take a video
> > frame and a text-on-alpha buffer be way more useful ?

We already have a compose element -- smpte.

>   More complicated, more overhead.  I would like to keep things simple,
> at least as a first approach.  Maybe later...

I would strongly recommend making the text rendering to a frame
into a library, or at least easily modifiable into a library.  It's
a pretty generic operation that could be used in videotestsrc,
subtitle overlay, channel number/name overlay, title generation,
a crawler overlay (text crawling on the bottom of the screen), etc.

dave...