[gst-devel] Re: Totem or no Totem was Re: GNOME Development Series Snapshot 2.3.0: "Mighty Atom"

Bill Haneman bill.haneman at sun.com
Tue Apr 22 11:11:05 CEST 2003

On Tue, 2003-04-22 at 17:46, Chipzz wrote:
> On 22 Apr 2003, Bastien Nocera wrote:
>
> > (SMIL isn't interesting, nobody uses it...)
>
> Mainly because there aren't many good players, none at all for Linux.
> I had to do a project in SMIL for school last year, and I had to result
> to windows in order to get it running.

Most of the non-ultra-proprietary media formats don't support captioning
or other 'sideband' info, so SMIL may be the only game in town.  It's
considered a key issue in the accessibility community - but without
regard for the problem of implementations.

If our media formats don't support inline captions, then SMIL is the
best available way to synchronize the multiple streams AFAIK, thus our
best option for providing captioning and subtitles in the general case.

- Bill