[gst-devel] Re: Totem or no Totem was Re: GNOME Development Series Snapshot 2.3.0: "Mighty Atom"

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Tue Apr 22 17:33:06 CEST 2003

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, Chipzz wrote:

> On 22 Apr 2003, Bastien Nocera wrote:
>
> > (SMIL isn't interesting, nobody uses it...)
>
> Mainly because there aren't many good players, none at all for Linux.
> I had to do a project in SMIL for school last year, and I had to result
> to windows in order to get it running.

No, mainly because the format sucks (they specify a grammar to parse xml
attributes for timestamps) and because there is not really a need for
multimedia presentations (or did anyone ever see a Powerpoint presentation
that was done like a video?)
People come and want SMIL for anything. SMIL is neither the right format
for playlists nor the right format to store subtitles.

And no, the non-adoption of SMIL has nothing to do with players not
supporting it. Quicktime and Real support it, so if it would be useful,
_someone_ apart from people forced to use it would have done a
presentation with it.

SMIL is a solution to a nonexistant problem.

Cheers,

Benjamin

PS: The above obviously is just MNSHO.