[gst-devel] Re: Totem or no Totem was Re: GNOME Development Series Snapshot 2.3.0: "Mighty Atom"

Bill Haneman bill.haneman at sun.com
Wed Apr 23 07:56:02 CEST 2003

On Wed, 2003-04-23 at 15:36, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> You didn't get it at all. These are just subtitle formats, you can use
> them on top of any video playable by the player. Ie. if I have an MPEG
> file, and a subtitle file, I can have the subtitles synchronised with
> the video. For all these formats, the specs are available.

Well, for some reason I can't get to most of the sites google finds for
these formats, they crash Mozilla 1.2.  That worries me already ;-)

It's good to hear that these are alternative synchronization formats...
can they handle multiple audio streams also (i.e. descriptive audio?).

I would still have some concerns about whether these formats have
sufficient traction to be promoted to accessible content creators, but
it's really good to know that some tools are starting to appear.

If nothing else I would expect that some transformation software between
SMIL and these formats could be put together.

- Bill