[gst-devel] auto-detection and esound

Steve Baker steve at stevebaker.org
Fri Apr 25 17:48:15 CEST 2003

I'm not sure what I'm going to do about this - here is my current
auto-detection scenario:
- check for alsasink - it doesn't exist
- check for osssink - pipeline doesn't work because device is in use
- check for esdsink - the pipeline is built and can be iterated - it
works!

Except that it doesn't play anything because the oss device is already
in use.  Esdsink needs a mode which only allows playing if the sound can
really be played *now*.

If there was some way of confirming that the esd daemon was running
without starting it as a side-effect that would help. Looking at esd.h
I'm not sure this is possible.

If this isn't solved then auto-detection will appear to have succeeded
but esd won't be able to play anything. Of course another option is to
remove esdsink from the auto-detection list, but I don't really want to
do that.

Any suggestions?

cheers
--