[gst-devel] flac track seeking

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Mon Dec 1 08:37:02 CET 2003

El dom, 30-11-2003 a las 05:09, Dave Collett escribió:
> G'day all,
> My cd's are all backed up into single FLAC files with an embedded "toc"
> (or cue-sheet), this is a standard feature of the FLAC encoder, nothing
> fancy that I have done.
>
> Anyhow, I want to be able to add my flac albums to rhythmbox and have
> them show up as individual tracks. As I started hacking away at
> rhythmbox, it became aparent to me that it would be best achieved by
> modifying the flac gst-plugin. ie. add a new "format" to the flac
> decoder, "track_format", so that one could seek to a track, just like
> the cdparanoia plugin. I could also add extra properties like cddb_id
> and so on, pretty much by pilliaging code from the cdparania plugin.
>
> This way, one could treat a flac file (with embedded cuesheet) just like
> an actual CD, and gstreamer apps(rhythmbox) can easily access the
> individual tracks. If this is a success I suppose it might be possible
> to modify the flac encoder also, such that one can transcode a cd into a
> flac-cuesheet file in one easy step. With the price of disks these days,
> backing up cd's to flac is a great option if you don't want to sacrifice
> audio quality.
>
> Does anyone else think this is a good idea? Do you have any
> comments/suggestions/traps for new players etc, that I should know about
> before commencing on this work?

In general, I think it's a great idea.  In particular, it's our cue to
unify the formats that somehow allow for something like this to work.  I
know ogg streams can contain multiple separate logical streams, so it
would seem logical to me that flac, vorbis, and cdparanoia would have a
similar API or way of accessing substreams for the different formats.

So I'd be interested in seeing some suggestions for that unification.
If you have the time to do this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Thomas