[gst-devel] Re: flac track seeking

ChristianHJW christian at matroska.org
Tue Dec 2 11:25:02 CET 2003

Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> El dom, 30-11-2003 a las 05:09, Dave Collett escribió:
>
>>G'day all,
>>My cd's are all backed up into single FLAC files with an embedded "toc"
>>(or cue-sheet), this is a standard feature of the FLAC encoder, nothing
>>fancy that I have done.
> In general, I think it's a great idea.  In particular, it's our cue to
> unify the formats that somehow allow for something like this to work.  I
> know ogg streams can contain multiple separate logical streams, so it
> would seem logical to me that flac, vorbis, and cdparanoia would have a
> similar API or way of accessing substreams for the different formats.
> So I'd be interested in seeing some suggestions for that unification.
> If you have the time to do this, it would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks, Thomas

mkvmerge can read FLAC and OggFLAC ( faster ) files now, and mux them
into a single MKA file. It can also read the CUE sheet coming with it,
and will write a matroska chapter entry for each track, so that any
player supporting matroska chapters can easily access every song.

I recommend to do the same thing with Ogg, but i dont know if Xiph
people have defined chapters in Ogg already. The 'bastard' OGM format
from Tobias Waldvogel, based on Ogg but never approved by Xiph, does
support chapters AFAIK, and via an entry in the comments IIRC ....

Christian
matroska project admin