[gst-devel] gstreamer-gnome

Leif Johnson leif at ambient.2y.net
Wed Dec 10 21:28:02 CET 2003

For what it's worth, I think this is a good idea. At the very least, it
would make the .pc files involved a lot easier to name, since there
would, I'm thinking, be two separate modules (gst-gnome and gst-plugins)
with two distinct purposes (providing higher-level GNOME compatibility /
plugins and providing lower-level GStreamer audio and video plugins).

For example, I don't really see why GStreamer should rely on GConf for
building ; none of the plugins proper (e.g. vorbisdec, mad, OSS,
colorspace, etc.) rely on it, do they ? Rather, it seems like the only
users of that functionality would be GNOME apps that also use the
GStreamer plugins.

I've been a bit out of the GStreamer loop the past week or so, so I'm
not sure what would be involved regarding GNOME and GStreamer apps
(rhythmbox, others ?) and this naming change. I'd hope it's only a
matter of changing the configure.ac files of the respective apps.

leif

Leif Morgan Johnson : http://ambient.2y.net/leif/