[gst-devel] gstreamer-gnome

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Wed Dec 3 01:13:05 CET 2003

Hi,

On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 17:02, Benjamin Otte wrote:
> - We are nearing API freeze. All this stuff is nowhere near API stable.
> And it never was during the 0.6 cycle either. We might want to make API
> instable releases with that stuff, anyway.

We don't have to be ABI stable, as long as we do proper libtool
versioning. We're not part of the developer platform.

However, this requires that we use separate libtool versions for
libgstplay and other modules in gst-plugins.

> - Package handling is easier. You can just refuse to build a gst-gnome
> package if there is no GConf. That won't work for gst-plugins.

I simply disagree with this one. It's a dependency. Period. If we don't
have it, we don't build it. We do that right now, too. It works like a
charm.

Don't get me wrong, you ave a point. I just don't agree with all you've
said here. I currently don't think we should separate all the things.
For 1.0, it might be a good idea, yes.

Ronald

Linux Video/Multimedia developer