[gst-devel] ffmpeg stuff

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Thu Dec 11 08:50:04 CET 2003

Hey all,

I'm again looking at fixing the ffmpeg stuff. I've had various reports
from various people, including myself, of various things not working as
it should.

I would like to work on it a little and fix it decently so that
a) it still starts from a cvs checkout of ffmpeg
b) we maintain patchsets when necessary that are applied during the
build
c) it passes make distcheck
d) it stops doing weird stuff with half checkouts/broken
checkouts/broken tags/...

Since a lot of broken build reports I get from people come from ffmpeg,
I think it's worth putting some time in this.  Also, I think this would
be a lot easier for me to work on, and for us to release, if it came as
a separate module.  That way, we update the release of the gst-ffmpeg
module independantly of the plugins tarball.  Which means we can put it
out whenever we managed to sync to ffmpeg CVS, adding support for new
stuff, or whenever we broke API in core and need to change the plug-in.

What do you think ?

Thomas