[gst-devel] gstplay example app failing to seek

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Sun Dec 14 15:40:01 CET 2003

Hey Ronald,

thanks for tracking this down.

> Now, the issue in gstplay is that you're seeking on a video queue, where
> it is not passing data. This is an issue, because if there's no data,
> then the chain function will never run and thus the event will never be
> handled! See the issue? That's what's blocking the event function from
> returning in libgstplay.
>
> How to fix it... That's tricky. We could add a timeout to the
> g_cond_wait() event function, but that's a workaround. I still think
> it's a good idea, but not as a fix on itself, but more as a protection
> for possible other bugs. If there's no reply after two seconds (or so),
> return FALSE automatically. For the issue itself, I'm not sure. The
> question here is really: how can I detect whether a pipeline that's in
> the PLAYING state is actually passing data? Any help on this is
> appreciated [therefore: CC to gst-devel ;) )].

I understand what you're saying.  I thought however that with Andy's
merge of events and buffers in to GstData again, that they are now
functionally equivalent.  ie, a GstEvent is the same as a GstBuffer with
size 0.  Isn't it then just a matter of making sure the core runs the
chain function in both cases, ie when there is "generic" GstData
available ? Or am I missing something else ?

Thomas