[gst-devel] gstplay example app failing to seek

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Mon Dec 15 00:50:03 CET 2003

Hi Thomas,

On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 00:38, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> I understand what you're saying.  I thought however that with Andy's
> merge of events and buffers in to GstData again, that they are now
> functionally equivalent.  ie, a GstEvent is the same as a GstBuffer with
> size 0.  Isn't it then just a matter of making sure the core runs the
> chain function in both cases, ie when there is "generic" GstData
> available ? Or am I missing something else ?

This is the other way around. Downstream (so filesrc -> decoder -> sound
sink), they're equal. Upstream (so filesrc <- decoder <- sound sink),
events are on their own. This is where the issue lies. Julien sends
events to the sound/video output and waits for any of the plugins to
properly handle the event. This is where the problem lies when there's
no data: the event (pending in a queue) will never be picked up by a
chain function run.

Ronald

Linux Video/Multimedia developer