[gst-devel] GStreamer needs a maintainer

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Tue Dec 16 05:28:05 CET 2003

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, Ronald Bultje wrote:

> Nice flame. ;). As you'll probably know, maintainers are mostly not lead
> developers or even coders at all. ;). But now that we're at it: who
> would you accept as maintainer? And who's willing to maintain this
> thing?

Linus is a maintainer of Linux. As is Marcelo Tossatti. As is Dave Camp
for Nautilus. Or Owen for gtk/pango/glib. Larry Wall for Perl. It's
someone who knows what's going on and decides what to do. And it most
likely is someone who is not only a coder, but a coder who understands how
the whole thing works.
At least that was how I intended to use the term in my mail.

> Note that as a build maintainer, Thomas' job is - amongst many others -
> to make sure that things build and roll well. So (imo) it's quite normal
> for him to dislike huge API breaks that make the thing unbuildable for
> days and so on...

It's not his job however to decide if
- IRC is good enough for decisions
- we use a ChangeLog or not
- all headers and plugins are put in gst-libs/gst
- we seperate a gstreamer-gnome package
- we try to get 0.8 in Gnome 2.6
- we want a caps rewrite in 0.8
- we declare and API freeze and when